It all begins

Unbelievably random stories, opinions, likes, dislikes....you name it.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Nights: When I Was a Kid...

Even though the summer doesn't officially end for another month, it's not stopping the school world from beginning. Over the past few days and for the next week or so I'll be saying my goodbyes to all my friends again. It's the only part that sucks about not being in school at this point in my life, I'm missing out on the sleepless nights doing homework and studying for tests. OH DARN! But it really hit me today that I'm getting old, and you're probably wishing you could punch me in the face seeing that I'm only 21, but today at work while I was on bar making tasty beverages for my customers, I was talking with a few girls that I've known either from grade school or high school about how small the kids are these days. They're not really that small, it's just that we feel so big now. St Joe High School just started up and a bunch of the kids hit up my Starbucks on their way into school and they seem like little kids. I remember going into high school and feeling like I went through middle school to quickly, and the same goes for grade school. It's surreal watching my little sister, who was born while I was in kindergarten, entering school as a freshman now. I can only imagine 10 or 15 years from now saying the same thing about my kids when they enter preschool. Oh God, this scares me a little.


Over the last week as I've watched kids going back to school with dreadful faces, all I could think about is the old days of my childhood. And it makes me a little nauseous thinking about the fact that the kids these days don't get to experience the good stuff.

THE GOOD STUFF THEY LACK TODAY:
Playing outside until you could no longer see your hands in front of our face.
The sound of the dial-up logging onto the Internet.
The feeling of sidewalk chalk on your fingers.
The outdoors in general.
When going to the park was the greatest.
Good cartoons.
No cell phones.
No computers.
No texting.
Bike rides.
Nap time.
When people could afford to drive places just for the fun of it.
Parents had control over their children and "smacked a hoe" if their little girls dressed like one.
Great video games existed such as Duck Hunt, Super Mario Brothers, Earthworm Jim, Sonic the Hedgehog, Zelda, etc.
Bugging your parents for money for the ice cream truck was actually a mission.
During the winter when you would spend ALL DAY outside sledding, building snowmen and snow forts, and shoveling INSTEAD of staying inside playing video games all day.
Getting to witness pot head skate borders.
When your only problem was worrying about which friend you should hang out with that day.
When "slutty" meant anything that showed off a woman's figure, now girls pretty much walk around naked.
This might sound weird coming from me, but remember the days before there was a Starbucks at every corner and the "cool place" was Lula's Cafe.
BAD HAIRCUTS.
When smoking was still an acceptable thing to do.


It actually makes me sad that the kids these days don't get to experience this stuff, or better yet, they don't get to suffer through it and get to say that they survived it all. If they only knew how slow the internet use to be, and I'm sure that was "lightning fast" for my time. I feel like kids are brats these days, but it's not anybody's fault but their parents. They no longer possess a backbone and give their children whatever they whine for. Oh well, I'll rant on my thought on parents these days, another day.


Now on a different note: My journey of working out.
So far it has been an awesome success! I'm about two weeks into it all and I've lost about 5 pounds, and that's without much dieting at all. I know it all sounds like excuses, and they probably are, but its been difficult starting the diet part of it when for the last week I've constantly been with friends eating out and saying my goodbyes, but I promise that I'm starting the diet in a few days. But the best part is when people notice the results more than I do.
Thanks for all the support!
TWO WEEKS STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment