It all begins

Unbelievably random stories, opinions, likes, dislikes....you name it.

Monday, August 8, 2011

College DropOUT

                                                 Backroom dance party.



What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words "college dropout"? Could it be a pot head, a knocked up chick, Mark Zuckerberg, or Kanye West's album? Maybe not. But I guess you could now think of me. That's right! I'm a college dropout. Hopefully it doesn't give you the wrong impression. I didn't drop out of college because I was a pot head. I didn't get a girl knocked up. Unfortunately, I'm not a multi-billionaire....yet. And I'm not douche bag enough to be Kanye West (I still hold a grudge because of what he did to Taylor Swift). But I am pursuing something that not many people my age are able to enjoy yet. Dispite my last rant on my fellow Starbucks baristas, I still love my job, or my career as I like to think of it. I've talked in a few posts from the past that I always wanted to work at Starbucks since I was a little kid, ever since my first experience in a Barnes & Noble Starbucks Cafe. And here I am about ten years later doing exactly that. At this point, I'm not too sure how far (how high) in the company I want to go. I just can't imagine myself NOT in the cafe or behind the bar steaming up unnecessary drinks for my customers. The thought of not being behind the bar scares me a little bit.

Over the last 3+ years I've been with the company, I've met and worked with many baristas who loved their job to death, many who absolutely hated it, and then a lot who were terrible at it. Most of the people who hate it are just being haters, and probably shouldn't be there. But we move on. I think in life, you should always work a job you love and care for. It's important. I understand that many people are unable to do that because it just doesn't pay enough for their children to survive, and I give them mad props because working a stupid job you hate is a HUGE sacrifice. But at this time in my life, I don't have much to worry about. My car is paid off. I'm not in any sort of debt and I only have a few bills every month, plus I pay for half a months groceries (which isnt cheap for 6 people) since I'm living here rent free. And then there are those who are fantastic baristas but have a different calling and are there as a means to an end, and that's respectable, just as long as they respect those who love being here with Starbucks for the longrun. There is nothing more irritating than having to work with someone who hates their job and isn't afraid to wear their hate for Starbucks on their sleeves. Sure, being a Starbucks barista isn't for everyone, but don't make us all hate it just because you do. And if you hate it that much, then you don't deserve to wear the green apron and you should probably give it up to the many people I know who would love to have your job.

Now when it comes to the college dropout part, it might not seem like a very good thing, but for me, it was necessary. Not many people are able to, or are willing to drop out of college for a career they're already apart of. But I guess I'm a lucky one. A lot of people have talked to me and asked why I'm not going to school anymore and its a simple and comforting question. I'm doing what I love. If I have to, I'll go to school later in my life when it becomes necessary. But I highly doubt I'll be returning to school. Then again, I'm sure God likes to mix it up a bit and could very well give me a new plan for life. We'll face that when it happens. Not to hate on people who do attend college, but I've seen a lot, and I mean A LOT, of people who go to school not knowing what they want to do with that $30,000 a years education. To me, it seems like a waste. And then after those 4 insane years of their life, they are back on their own in a mad search for a job, any job. Sadly, with the economy as it is, it's become difficult and a little pointless to get certain degrees just because you won't be able to find that job. And for people like my dad who attended IU Bloomington a million years ago, and got jobs doing things they loved, they now struggle to find a career in the field they were originally part of twenty years ago, like the furniture business for instance. I can't imagine putting in all that work for nothing. But for some of you, that isn't a problem and you probably wouldn't mind going to school. We all have different opinions.


WORDS OF ADVICE: Money can't buy love. Do what you love -- Love what you do.

1 comment:

  1. very wise Ben... I wanna be a Barista! I have the utmost respect for you & your chosen path! :)

    ReplyDelete